Monday, July 28, 2014

Because Words Matter

There are words, and then there are words. The unimportant chattering of commercials and reality television; the chatter of talk radio as we drive to and from our destinations; the wild imaginings and sometimes incessant babbling of our children as they give us the play by play of their video game adventures. Those are the words that tumble and swirl around us throughout our day. They are augmented by a kind word from a coworker in passing; a quiet meditation that a friend prayers for us over the phone line; a warm murmur of affection from our spouse as the coffee is poured before breakfast.

Words matter. The ones we hear come and go – some quicker than others – but there is something about the words that make their way to paper (real or virtual) that can sometimes hold even greater meaning than the everyday banter and exchange of information.

Is it because we took the time to write them down? Because we’ve committed to those thoughts, feelings, and opinions – enough to memorialize them in ink or pixels?

When we write it down, we are saying, “this is important – this matters enough to remember.”

We also open our hearts and our own experiences to tell our story. To take a chance. To be vulnerable. Writing it down very often means sharing it. Outside of journaling for personal reflection, writing invites others in – it asks someone to come alongside you and join with you for a while; perhaps even to find commonalities and areas for connection between your stories and theirs.


The written word is a gift we give as we offer meditations, characters, story arcs, and ideas out into the larger world – as Madeline L’Engle said, “to feed the lake” that is the dynamic accomplishment of creative creation that comes from the artists and the souls who answer their gift.

For the writer who calls Christ their home, the written word is also a responsibility. The willingness to embrace the ideas and ideals larger than our own; to accept the Word of God that has been given – as well as the word that He puts in our hearts to share – and to continue to further the knowledge and celebration of the glorious, fierce beauty of the Word that saves so we can play our part in the promise of Isaiah where he writes,
For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:10-11 ESV 
And as we write; as we contemplate the mystery and vast expanse that lies before us and from which we draw, let us mindfully pray that we be good stewards of these words.

Words matter.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14 ESV
This is my prayer.


I’m linking up with one of my favourite people and favourite communities today – Kaitlyn from Just Takes One is hosting a link up for friends participating in Round Three of the #fmfpartysnailmail. Talk about the beauty of the written word! This group that grew out of the Five Minute Fridays shares weekly letters amongst a growing group of women (over one hundred this time!) for an eight week period. The letters help develop the community and encourage and uplift both the sender and the receiver (my experience at any rate).

I'd love to connect with you some more - stop on by the Three Bees Facebook Page or connect with me on Twitter @3BeesBlueBonnet. Let's continue the conversation!

12 comments :

  1. "For the writer who calls Christ their home, the written word is also a responsibility." Oh. my. word. Yes. Some days it feels very light and airy and some days it feels weighed down with the responsibility. You nailed it, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you girl - goodness - you always help my heart on the days when I worry that I've said the wrong thing!

      Delete
  2. So sweet, Rebekah! I love how you describe that words invite us in-so true. May all our words honor the people that read them but most importantly honor God. Isaiah 55:10-11 states it so beautifully-"so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it". Thank you for this today my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! You encourage me. I'm blessed to be sharing this community with you!

      Delete
  3. This is such a needed reminder >>> "let us mindfully pray that we be good stewards of these words." These words we write do matter and for me it's so important that they always give honor to God. Great message, Rebekah. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I needed to put one of the #preachingtomyself tags on this - I really am. But so grateful to be doing this with wonderful friends like you who come alongside.

      Delete
  4. Rebekah, loved this! Love your words and they truly do matter. Words reveal each of our hearts & our hearts are precious and fragile and a treasure. Praying with you for us all to be good stewards of our words. Today & every day! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm in good company here Joanne! Praying with you and thanking you for your words!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love this! And you... and all your lovely words, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindred spirit - I'm so glad we have crossed paths and lives.

      Delete
  6. You pour forth beauty and truth with your words. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbie. You've been blessing us with words AND images. So grateful for both!

      Delete

Thank you for the kindess of your comment. I pray your patience with the word verification. I've had such troubles with spammers lately. Thank you for grace. I look forward to reading all the comments and responding. I appreciate you!