Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I love you ... have a bite

Bright, fresh pico de gallo
There are thousands of ways to say I love you. Flowers. Cards. Box of chocolate. A little kiss under the arbor while the rain is misting. A myriad ways to express tender feelings and deep emotions for those you care most for. Everyone has a love language – more often than not, we have more than one.

One of my most fluent love languages is food.

I love to cook. And I’m going to clarify cook vs. bake here, because I’m decidedly better at one than the other. I can bake up a cake and make a beautiful batch of cupcakes. My brownies are pretty good and my cookies are worth eating. But baking just isn’t as much fun for me because baking involves a lot of measuring, some serious science, and let’s face it: rules.

I’m not always a rules girl, so the exhortations to have exactly one and one half cups of loosely leveled something or another or three cups of something else; just at room temperature – not so much to my liking. In baking, missing one or two ingredients often means a trip to the store or more complex measurements to concoct some sort of substitution.

Deep, flavourful chili - about the only thing I use beer for
But cooking. Ah, the idea that I can wander into an incomplete kitchen and create something on the fly. Or as I am more wont to do: look at a recipe – or three or four – and take my favourite parts and mash them up together into some sort of new deliciousness. I love cooking because of its artful inventiveness and because I never quite know how things are going to come out until the're done.
And the best part – really, the very best part – is the looks of happiness and anticipation on the faces of my family and friends when they begin to smell things percolating on the store, or wander in and see a colourful pile of diced and sliced fruits, vegetables, and other fine things being mise en placed into readiness.

Our favourite stir-fry: lots of chopping, but so worth it!
The smell of onions and garlic in butter will do that to people. As will the deeply variegated layers of spice in my chili. I grew up watching my father as the main cook in our kitchen and the Asian influence of those childhood dinners still lingers in my meals today. There is generally a whiff of shoyu (soy sauce), hoisin or oyster sauce, definitely sesame oil, and yes – ginger – in the dishes I serve up.

Bringing a sense of fullness, completion, and satisfaction to my family makes me happy. Watching them savor each bite – sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly – makes me happier than many things.

Last night, in the warm summer evening, I sat with the doors and windows wide open and easy, mellifluous jazz spilling out of the speakers while I chopped piles of tomatoes, peaches, cilantro, and onions for two dishes: fresh pico de gallo and tomato peach salsa. I blended a scant bit of barbeque sauce with some of my
Spicy, tangy tomato-peach salsa - so good chilled
previously mentioned Asian staples and put some chicken in to marinate for the grill. The scent of fresh corn in their husks lingered around the sink and blended with the mellow perfume of yellow Spanish rice. I gave in to the cats and cracked the back door so they could wander in and out and back in again; taking long moments to roll over and over again on the warm patio in the shadows under the lawn chair. I stirred salt into the tomatoes and let fresh ground pepper fall through my fingers. As I sliced through the lone jalapeno, I could feel the heat and the sting run through my skin and up through my eyes. Even that felt good though, knowing how that heat would ease and balance the sweetness of peach.

Before long, I heard the hard thunk of the garage door opening and my family rolled in smelling of sunshine and chlorine. The loud exclamations of delight over the bowls of snacks and dinner on the way gave way to happy murmurs as they dipped picco de gallo on chips and sniffed the chicken that was ready to go.

I love you. Have a bite.







I'd love to connect with you some more - stop on by the Three Bees Facebook Page or connect with me on Twitter @3BeesBlueBonnet. Let's continue the conversation!

16 comments :

  1. Nothing like food -eating, preparing, baking and sharing with family and friends to evoke so many memories and create new goodness with those we love! Thanks for the yumminess!!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness girl... it is 7:30 am and all of the sudden I am starving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this food looks so delicious! You are making me hungry. :-) I love to experiment while cooking too, and the best thing is that my five year old daughter likes to "help" me. Thank you for sharing this, and I hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you said about feeling the jalapeƱo. That's how I am when I make chili. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. While it all looks good, the chili - oh the chili. Actually I kept looking for a link to the recipe :) It is amazing how food & a table is all we need to gather and share. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow it looks so great! Such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need a little of your gift to rub off on me! LOL! Cooking is the one thing I hate doing. I love to eat, but would rather clean the mess than cook. Thankfully, my husband is a great cook. :) I love your foodie pictures though! Makes me want to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not much of a cook but I am a great taste tester if you ever need one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just ate a bowl of pico but I'm sure it wasn't as good as yours!! I'd love to have you cook for me...or us to cook together...mostly because it would mean we were in the same room!! Love your photos and love your #fmfpartysnailmail giveaway. #Iwannawin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Everything looks so fresh and tasty! I think food needs to be its own love language. :). Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All this food is making me hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM, YUM, YUM! Your photos of your cooking creations make me so hungry when I see them on Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty sure food is also my love language. :) It all looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rebekah, I can't remember are you coming to Declare? If so I will stalk you until I get some of that pico. I love that you point out you are a cook and not a baker. Totally get that. Baking is a science and cooking is art. I don't like to measure ingredients that cramps my style.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It all looks SO good! Food is my love language, too, which is why it was so hard when I got too sick to cook for the family anymore. I still crockpot my love any time I can, and I hope to one day be able to prepare meals again. Heart Hugs, Shelly <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUM! I love food and I love cooking and trying new recipes when I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the kindess of your comment. I pray your patience with the word verification. I've had such troubles with spammers lately. Thank you for grace. I look forward to reading all the comments and responding. I appreciate you!