Wednesday, July 16, 2014

sometimes i breathe



















finally –

after the blasting heat
of the hours before,
and the wilting hot damp
that will not let me draw a breath –
eventide falls.

gilded light glazes trees and hillside
till they flow with the promise
of glory days to come
and reflected majesty;
warming this lonely earth
(and the ache inside).

summer skies are
bleached the pale of well-worn denim;
soft enough to wrap weary hearts
and tired bones of tired mamas,
and swimmers well-spent from miles of laps,
and skaters chilled from hours of spinning jumps,
and dogs panting
from just one more lap around the field.

this is the quiet time –
when the breeze sweeps in
on the back of the swallows,
tipping into shadow,
as birds dive for empty ripples;
remembering they have no need to fear;
they are cared for –
this is the hallowed moment
(the time between times)

and in this moment,
sometimes I breathe.








I'd love to connect with you some more - stop on by the Three Bees Facebook Page or connect with me on Twitter @3BeesBlueBonnet. Let's continue the conversation!

I'm joining Simply Beth for her Three Word Wednesday link up. It's been over a month since I joined this circle of writers, and I have missed them. For this link up, choose three words; share a post, photo, or scripture that highlights those three words; link up here; and share some encouragement and blog love with other writers.  

I'm also so very pleased to be joining my dear friend Jenn for her No Words Are Needed link up. I thought since this was one of my own photos this time, I'd share here. Jenn has such a beautiful, generous heart - I hope you'll take a moment to visit her blog and read her words.


7 comments :

  1. Beautiful words. Stopping over from TWW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful poetry. Such truth, written with such imagery. I love the ending: "this is the hallowed moment
    (the time between times)
    and in this moment,
    sometimes I breathe."
    Thank you for sharing your gift here. TWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebekah, I am so glad you posted this to FB. It is so very true, there is something so peaceful about the evening hours. When the temps cool a little bit, dusk begins to settle in & all is just a little calmer. It's like we settle down enough to absorb Him. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. The time between time…..that's were I must remember to breathe. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my stars this is beautiful!! You have a gift my friend. Love you and thank you for sharing.!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Girl... this is just all kinds of gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! I'm so glad you are having such a wonderful summer with your girl. Love the photos of her swimming! Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the kindess of your comment. I pray your patience with the word verification. I've had such troubles with spammers lately. Thank you for grace. I look forward to reading all the comments and responding. I appreciate you!