Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday Grace Notes - Bach Cello Suite No. 1, Yo-Yo Ma

For some time now, I have had my mind and heart on something new. I wasn’t sure what it was, but it was out there – percolating; forming itself in the ether of my imagination; gathering life and shape and sound. And then two posts came together that helped me see what it was I’d been after.

I had to the opportunity to share some of my favourite things with the participants of the third round of #fmfpartysnail mail – all got to read about some of the little things I love and one lucky winner got the whole lot. This past Friday when the Five Minute Friday prompt came out, I found myself writing encouraging words to a larger audience. This was several steps outside my comfort zone – I love to encourage, but feel so much safer doing it one-on-one. This time though, I allowed the Lord to lead, and those words spoke to more than one heart.

Those two things – small treasures from my life and a desire to encourage others – are coming together in Tuesday Grace Notes.

I’ve never written of it here, so you probably don’t know that I come from a strong musical background. My mother and father both sing. She plays piano. He and my brother play guitar. Our family has sung in choirs (often led by my mother) for as long as I can remember. I played the piano from the time I was five until I graduated from high school; started playing the cello in fifth grade (through my senior year), and taught myself how to play the guitar fairly reasonably when I was in seventh grade.

Needless to say, I’ve seen some grace notes along the way.

A grace note is a music notation used to denote several kinds of musical ornaments (usually printed smaller to indicate that it is melodically and harmonically nonessential, but don’t believe that last bit). It’s sometimes referred to as a leaning note, as when the grace note is performed it sounds as though it is leaning in the direction of its associated principal or resolving note. However, the grace note offers a variety of effects and influences applicable to the melody of the composition. The grace note ornament, when placed and performed properly, increases the emotional impact of the music on the audience. In fact, the use of the grace note adds beauty and depth to the melody. 

And that is my goal for Tuesday Grace Notes – a small bit of harmony amidst the other things I write about. Shorter (if I meet my goals) than my usual pieces, and just a little something to add a touch of beauty to my life and yours. One week it might be a wonderful book I’ve read and can’t put down. Maybe it will be one of the movies I love (or its soundtrack). You might find a favourite recipe here. Or the new soap I’ve just discovered.

But since the term is born from music, I must begin my grace notes with a piece of music I love, by one of my favourite composers, played on an instrument I adore, and brought to life by an artist who renders it like no other. I hope you enjoy the grace note that is the Prelude from the Bach Cello Suite No.1 by Yo-Yo Ma.

  

I'd love to connect with you some more - stop on by the Three Bees Facebook Page or connect with me on Twitter @3BeesBlueBonnet. Let's continue the conversation!

8 comments :

  1. Sounds like a lovely way to spend Tuesday's together, Rebekah. I come from a family with a love for playing primarily the piano and the guitar and have a few singers in the family too. I've played the piano most of my life . . . wish I sat down to play more frequently. Look forward to seeing what your Tuesday Grace Notes brings. Blessings. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! It's a blessing to have music in my (our) lives - both as players and as ones who can appreciate it. I do wish I had stayed more consistent with my playing - particularly with the cello - but love them all the same. Looking forward to sharing more fun things here.

      Delete
  2. I love this, Rebekah! I love learning about music. I know nothing about the technical side of it, but enjoy all kinds of variety in music. It's so lovely how you tied it all together for people like me. I'm looking forward to your future Grace Notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you did. I'm happy it wasn't too much (short prose is not my strong suit - lol). I hope you'll enjoy the other things to come. More music for sure, but a variety of things that have been a blessing in my life as well.

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! I especially loved the Grace Note you shared today. I love listening to Bach when I'm studying or writing. This was a fantastic rendition of this piece. Looking forward to future Grace Note Tuesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement and thank you for sharing my new adventure! Bach is one of my favourites, and I never get tired of this piece. So good to find another fan!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the info, Rebekah. I love music, but have never heard of "grace notes". Now, when I read music in church, I'll know what those little notes are there for. "Learn something new every day". I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this! I am so looking forward to Tuesdays on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the kindess of your comment. I pray your patience with the word verification. I've had such troubles with spammers lately. Thank you for grace. I look forward to reading all the comments and responding. I appreciate you!